Refracting telescope by Josef Fraunhofer , used to observe the 1874 and 1882 transits (on the right)
Object notes Associations
This refracting telescope (Inventory-Number CIf10) was aquired by the Mathematisch-Physikalischer Salon (Dresden, Germany) from Bergrath Gehlen of Leipzig in 1823.
It was taken on German expeditions to observe the transit of Venus from the Kerguelen Islands in the southern Indian Ocean in 1874 as well as at Bahia Blanca (Argentina) in 1882, as was noted on a plaque attached to the telescope tube.
The telescope's location since the Second World War is not known; it was most likely destroyed on 13 February 1945, when many of the Salon's objects that had been removed to remote storage areas east of the Elbe River during the war were caught up in the fire-bombing of Dresden while being transferred to sites further to the west. Fragments of the tripod stand, which had been stored separately, survive.
The telescope is shown here in a photo of the Salon taken between 1920 and 1928; to its left is a telescope acquired from the Munich firm Merz & Soehne in 1888, which was also lost in the war.
Object contributed by Mathematisch-Physikalischer Salon